Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Loving the Least of These

Roughly 4 years ago, I went with some friends to love on the homeless community in downtown Houston. A few months later, I went again. Soon after that, I found my self going pretty much every month to love on these people. As the years have passed, God has wrecked me in a good way. My heart hurts for the homeless, the unwanted, the outcasts, the small. Last December, the couple that had started the ministry, Kylie's Prayer, that I had been serving with each month for years, had to move out of state, and I was honored that they asked me to take over this ministry.

At the end of each month, we head out, armed with whatever donations we've collected that month, alongside many dear friends who've done the same. Our goal is simple. Be the hands and feet of Jesus to offer these people hope. We aren't out to rescue them from the streets or to fix them. We are there solely to love on them.

And each month, I am amazed and in awe.

Month after month, through the heat of summer, cold winter, and even sometimes rain, some amazing people show up to serve alongside my kids and me. And each month my heart is broken and remolded by the stories I hear and amazed at the connections that are made and mind-blown by the grace God shows us and just the beauty of watching people love on each beyond social norms and boundaries. 

Last month I met a veteran who goes by the name Hope. This sweet man (probably around his mid-60s) actually has a home at the moment in a veteran housing facility near one of our stops. He was homeless for a while prior to getting a spot there a couple months ago. Still, he came by and chatted with us and graciously accepted a couple slices of pizza, some water and a handful of toiletries. I was a little taken back when I initially met him because right after thanking me for few toiletries I found him (bless him - he was so excited about a couple travel size shampoo and conditioner bottles) he looked at me, introduced himself and said, "There's something special about you. I can see it in your eyes. You just have a good heart." While so many of the folks we meet out here on the street are gracious and thankful, not many say things like this. I was caught off guard for a second, but quickly recovered and thanked him for his kind words. He then shared with me that he was a veteran and he lived in the housing unit. He said he really appreciated the few items he took because by the end of the month, the little bit he gets from the government is running out. He went on to tell me that he once was a successful business owner, but a few years ago, his wife died. He then couldn't keep up his business and lost it, and soon after lost his home and found himself on the streets. But he kept going on about how happy he was to be in the housing he was in now. He was thankful for what he had in the moment he was in.

So many times, we get caught up in our lives and our busyness and our stuff and we grumble about it and complain that we want more. I am oh so guilty here. We lose sight of what matters so easily. But yet, here stood this older man, who had plenty at one time and had lost it all, who was abundantly thankful for the little he had and the little we gave him. And he just had the genuine joy about him.

Later as we were about to pull out of the parking lot, Hope came running back over toward my car to catch us. I rolled down the window to see what he needed, and he said again that he felt like there was just something special about me.  It took him a moment to gather his words, then he asked, "Do you happen to know anyone around my age that's looking for a husband? I'm just so lonely and would really like to find a wife." Initially, I was thinking "WEIRD!!! What the..." but then God whispered to me, "Don't pass judgment here." (Funny, since that is something I pray over our group every month - that we would refrain from making judgments.) This man, Hope, looked at me and my kids with tears in his eyes, being completely vulnerable, asking if we could help with the one thing he felt he really needed. Sadly, I told him no because I really don't know of any special lady for him, but we prayed for him. We prayed that God would continue to provide for him and that if a wife was God's will, that he meet this special lady.

It's been a few weeks now, and Hope pops in my mind often. When he does, I pray he doing well. And while his request did seem strange, I am honored he felt safe enough to share this desire with me. Think about it - for him to come and say all that, he definitely had to set aside his own pride. As for him noting something special about me - I can't pinpoint that exactly other than Jesus just using me as His hands and feet to do His work. It's not me - it's Him.

Moments like these are such great reminders to me of why I fell in love with this ministry in the first place. God has gifted me with a heart for the homeless, the broken and the small. He's called me to love on the least of these. It is a joy and privilege to do His work.

"The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’" -Matthew 24:40

For more information on how you can help with our ministry, please email me at lorimotal@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment